Monday, December 23, 2013

What One Utah Family with Same-Sex Parents Looks Like


Saturday was one of the happiest days of my life.* Six of my children were staying with us, and we were joined in the afternoon by my daughter Hannah, her husband Cary and their daughter, Nutella (that's what Mark and I call her). We had fun watching Nutella toddle around. We sat and chatted. We ate dinner. The kids played ping pong. Everyone was happy. Everyone was enjoying themselves. And as a father, this was the sort of evening that I had dreamt about. It was a beautiful day, a beautiful evening. 

I chose the title of this post cognizant of what is happening in Utah right now. As I wrote in my post on Saturday: "We are a family. My partner, Mark, and I love each other. We, together, love our children, who are legally "mine" and my former wife's, but are also morally Mark's. Why? Because he loves them and they love him."

We are a family.














* The lead photograph was taken by dav.d photography. The other pictures were taken by my very talented daughter, Rachel, pictured above on the left with her sister, Hannah.

5 comments: