Thursday, November 6, 2014

Sunset, Sunrise, Mahalo


"Mahalo" is a word one commonly hears in Hawaii. In the sense in what it is used today, it means "thank you." However, according to Wikipedia:
 "'Mahalo' is a Hawaiian word meaning thanks, gratitude, admiration, praise, esteem, regards, or respects. Some sources support that the meanings "thanks" and "gratitude" were appended to the word following contact with Westerners. While the word mahalo is found in Lorrin Andrews' 1865 dictionary, the English-Hawaiian section does not provide any Hawaiian word intended to mean gratitude or thanks. Also, early visitors noted that the Hawaiians were generous and grateful people, but had no word to express gratitude or to say 'thank you'."


Mahalo is what I felt last night watching the sunset over the ocean and what I again felt this morning as we watched the sun rise over Mauna Kea, Hualalai and Kohala. I felt gratitude to be able to witness these scenes of incredible beauty. I felt that I wanted to offer Mahalo to the universe for creating such beauty. And I also wanted to say "Maholo" for Mark, for his presence in my life, for his love, for the fact that he is here with me. Still here, healthy and strong (except for the fact that he has incurable cancer). 






Before I get to the sunrise pictures from this morning, here's one from yesterday, when not one but two turtles were resting on the beach about 20 yards away from us.


Last night's sunset and this morning's sunrise were our going away presents. Tonight, we head home.






So, again, I feel Mahalo for all we have seen and experienced here on the Big Island. But most of all, I feel Mahalo for my beautiful children (and grandchildren) who light up my life and for my beautiful husband Mark, the love of my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment