Monday, July 10, 2017

Rendezvous in Propriano


Five years ago this September, Mark and I took our first cycling tour together - on Corsica. Our last stop prior to the end of the tour was in Propriano in the southwestern part of the island. Tonight, the tour I am currently on will roll into Propriano, where we will stay at the same hotel in Olmeto (across the bay from Propriano) where Mark and I stayed in 2012. I have been anticipating this evening since last November when I signed up for this tour.

Five years ago, we had started our day in Solenzara, on Corsica's east coast, and had cycled up and over mountains on a beautiful but challenging ride.


The day after our arrival in Olmeto was a rest day. Mark and I donned our "civvies" and rode into Propriano to do some shopping. We were out of gin.

That last night in Olmeto five years ago was memorable. It involved, among other things, a wonderful dinner (at which the lead photo, above, was taken), copious amounts of alcohol, several rounds of limoncello and, for some of us, skinning dippy in a moonlit bay.

I know the experience this year will be different from what it was five years ago, which is as it should be. But I am grateful for the opportunity to revisit this place where such special memories were made. Tonight, rather than having an Aperol spritz at cocktail hour, I will have a gin and tonic and raise a glass to Mark, who introduced me to cycling and so many, many other things - the most important of which was love.


Back to the here and now, yesterday's ride was a loop ride out of Bonifacio, totaling about 58 miles and 4100'. We had lunch overlooking Palombaggia Beach (pictured above), then headed back through Figari. We were on our own for dinner, so Bob and I walked into the old town, had our customary Aperol spritzes, then ate at a restaurant overlooking the cliffs of Bonifacio.

Palombaggia Beach

Above Porto-Vecchio

Afternoon pit stop in Figari

Figari - it never fails that an electric line runs right through an
otherwise great shot

Entrance to the harbor in Bonifacio


Seen in Bonfacio old town last night

Evening light bathes the limestone cliffs of Bonifacio


No comments:

Post a Comment