Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Love That Will Never Grow Old


Five years ago today, before Mark's diagnosis, I wrote a blog post entitled, "Falling In Love .. With a Man" in which I told the story of how I met and fell in love with Mark. In that post, I shared only part of what I felt, what I experienced during those first deliriously wonderful, exciting and wondrous weeks when, for the first time in my life, I felt what it feels like to truly be in love. What it felt like to fall in love ... with a man.

During that time, I posted some things on my first blog, Invictus Pilgrim, that alluded to the rest of the story, what I was feeling at the time--things I could only allude to then, published under a pseudonym, but which I can share openly now. One of those things was a video of scenes from Brokeback Mountain, accompanied by the song, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." I'd like to repost that here, for it expresses so poignantly what I felt during that magical time.


That was the beginning of the story.

That story continued for 4-1/2 years. And what a journey it was ...




































I hadn't really intended to prepare a post like this on this day. I've hesitated posting it. I wrote it for myself and post it for myself and for those who witnessed ... it, because I want to honor the love that Mark and I shared, because it should be honored ... and remembered.

As any tribute should be, I put it together thoughtfully, tenderly, lovingly. I conclude it with another video featuring scenes from Brokeback Mountain. The symbolism will be obvious to those who have seen the movie, the music speaks eloquently, and I don't think any more commentary on my part is necessary ... except to say that moving on doesn't mean letting go ... of what really matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment