Sunday, July 1, 2012

Brighton!

Riding the loop at Brighton, at the top of the canyon
On Friday, I achieved a goal I had set for myself in May:  I cycled to Brighton, at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, by the end of June. We had previously ridden as far as Jordan Pines a couple of times, but this is the first time we went further.  We went all the way to the top, a climb of almost 4000 feet over 15 miles from the mouth of the canyon to Brighton.  It was bloody difficult in places, especially just before the end.  But I made it.

As had been the case with other rides, I didn't really truly realize the extent of the climb until we headed down.  Another amazing experience.  

The day before, we had cycled up to the top of Millcreek Canyon.  It was psychologically important to me that I make this climb, as I had bonked the last time we did it.  It was difficult, I don't mind saying.  It was near 100 degrees down in the valley.

These two rides put us just over 200 miles for the week and 700 miles for the month of June. I am now much more psychologically and physically prepared for our September trip, though I still have a ways to go.  As I was thinking yesterday about these two canyon rides, I contemplated how each ascent presents a psychological challenge:  me against the canyon.  I wonder who will win.   No matter how many times I have won, I still wonder whether - this time - I will lose.

On this Millcreek ride, I had started to notice that my chain seemed to be slipping a bit.  It got much worse on the Big Cottonwood ride, so Mark and I took the bike into a shop on Friday afternoon.  Turns out my chain is toast, as well as the cassette of cogs on the rear wheel.  I'll take it in on Monday for them to replace these parts.  I'll be without my bike for a day, but I can't wait to see the difference this will make in my riding ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment