Saturday, June 8, 2013

Family Stories Old and New


It's been so wonderful having Hannah, Cary and Nutella here. They had a leisurely start to the day on Thursday because Hazel, who has been teething, actually had a pretty good night and went back to sleep after her morning bottle. Mom and Dad took the opportunity to sleep in a little bit.

When they got up, Hannah and Cary and I spent a couple of hours sitting out on the back porch, chatting about family history, both past and recent. We looked at old family pictures and opined about who looked like who, then shared some stories that hadn't been heard before. In Hannah's case, she learned about some of her forebears. In my case, I learned about things that happened when Hannah was a child and a teenager, some funny - including the time (when around age 10), she spit in her younger sister Rachel's face - and some more serious.


Just in time for Nutella's mid-day nap, we then headed off to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, then drove all the way to the top.  I have to admit I was proud of myself when Hannah marveled that I actually ride to the top of that magnificent canyon. 


On the way back down, we stopped at Silver Fork Lodge for lunch. Later that afternoon, the kids headed toward Bountiful to spend some time up there. Today, we're all going to the Highland Games. Should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment