Thursday, May 24, 2012

Discovering Sugar House Park


I have lived in the Salt Lake area for almost 16 years, but yesterday marked the first time I entered Sugar House Park.  Mark and I went for a 24-miler yesterday by cycling to the park, then doing 12 laps around the park before heading back home.  I couldn't believe I hadn't previously enjoyed this jewel of a park in the heart of the city's east side.


The ride around provided a nice variety of gentle slopes and provided a good opportunity for me to get used to standing while peddling uphill.  It also provided gorgeous views and an opportunity for Mark and me to actually talk to each other while cycling.


A view off to the southwest, across the Salt Lake Valley
I became curious about the history of the park, so consulted the oracle this morning and discovered that the site of the park was at one time the site of the territorial/state penitentiary.


This would therefore have been the place that polygamists were incarcerated in the late 1800's as the Federal government cracked down on this Mormon practice.  One of the highest-profile prisoners was President George Q. Cannon, pictured seated in the doorway below, who was a relative of Carla (about whom I wrote about the other day).


The prison was apparently operated until 1951, when the new prison at Point of the Mountain (still in use) was completed.



This ride at the park was like the yoga class we attended yesterday morning, which was designed for "stiffer bodies."  The movements were much slower and there was an emphasis placed on breathing.  It was nice to slow down and ease into the poses and be able to concentrate on breathing.

After yoga class, we stopped by Ward and Child's Garden Store on 7th East.  They have a beautiful store and an even more beautiful garden behind the store.  

In the garden, underneath an arbor created by apple trees
While there, I received a welcome phone call from my beautiful daughter Hannah, who lives in Vancouver.  I didn't have time to take pictures while we were there, so I'm "borrowing" some I found on the Internet that accurately reflect what I saw yesterday.  Someday soon, I hope to go back and take my own pictures.

I sat in the chair to the left, beyond the lily pond, while talking to Hannah






No comments:

Post a Comment